Sunday, May 3, 2009

Connectivism

I think connectivism is very similar to the higher level skill of synthesizing. It is one’s opportunity and ability to take knowledge from a verity of different resources and mediums to be used in a way to transform one’s knowledge. It allows the person who has the desire of attaining a true understanding of a concept to sift through these resources/mediums and decipher what is variable to them in terms of their knowledge set and where they would like to take their understanding. Not only does the knowledge gather and transformer need to decipher what is valuable to him/her, but he/she needs to determine what is accurate based on the resources gathered, what is fact or merely another person’s opinion. This allows students to determine what resources are quality based on cross-referencing. I like this concept because students can gather primary information from web resources as well as find information that is presented in graphs, diagrams, pictures, or videos rather than gather information from written resources.

I feel that I am 21 century learner and teacher because I am always using resources that are available at my figure tips. I allow my students the opportunity to use different resources that they see fit for their understanding of concept and I am willing to facilitate their learning of such tools needed to gather information from a multitude of resources. I think that I still have a lot of learning to do in regards to how I can utilize all of technology’s potential at a second grade level that is safe and helpful, but I am willing to take those steps so my students will know where to look and understand the boundless resources that are available.

No comments:

Post a Comment