Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Best Lesson Using Technology

My best lesson that integrated technology this year was one that utilized the SMARTboard as a way of scaffolding what the students would do independently in the computer lab. To preface the lesson the students have been studying dinosaurs to help them meet their science targets. As a way of assessing their understanding of the target the students are carrying out independent research projects on a dinosaur or an endangered animal. To aid them in their research, I provided the students with a plan sheet that I was able to model finding the research via a copy of an internet page using the camera option, the print capture option (for the importation of the research plan sheet), and the dual screen mode on Notebook 10 (to highlight and make the transfer of paraphrased research onto the plan sheet). After the students saw how they would need to fill out the plan sheet I showed them the steps for using the internet for research so they would have a clear understand of what was expected of them in the computer lab. After I was done modeling, the students had the opportunity to use the computers themselves to conduct their research. To conclude, after the students are done drafting their research they will go to the computer lab to type their final copy.In the future I would like to use the computer lab project to model the lesson because I think some of the students weren’t able to make the transfer from the classroom to the computer lab setting. I just wouldn’t have the SMARTboard component. This year I want to continue to work on getting down to the computer lab so that my students have a good understanding of the conventions of typing as they move on to third grade. I also want to continue to work on making my SMARTboard lessons more interactive so my students have the opportunity to use it on a daily basis.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Andrew!
    Love the research project! Sounds like you really covered it well!
    I too would like to incorporate going to the lab more. Sometimes I feel we should have two labs! One just for testing and one for doing the research projects. I want to be able to get the students more active onto the smartboard, too. It would be so cool if they could have a minnie size smartboard at their desk. BIG BUCKS!!! Way to go Andrew, and happy belated birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete